Let’s talk: why you should never give pets as gifts

Top Dog Tips - Why You Should Never Give Pets As GiftsThanksgiving is over and December is officially here. Last week I was giving advice on sharing Thanksgiving dinner with your dog, and now it’s time to talk about the gift giving season. No matter what holiday you celebrate, it’s never a good idea to give pets as a gift. It seems like a sweet gesture, but it can actually be a stressful experience for both the pet and the person.

Video: DJ Snake ft. Justin Bieber - Let Me Love You [Lyric Video]

In most cases, though not all, giving a pet as a gift is an impulse idea. Gifting someone with a 10+ year commitment is not a very good thing to do on an impulse. In fact, I bet if you visit your local animal shelter in February or March you’ll find a slew of pets that have worn out their welcome as Christmas presents.

Unfortunately, the fact that these “gift pets” end up at shelters isn’t the fault of the animal or the owner – it’s your fault for giving the person the pet in the first place. The holidays are a very busy time of year, and most families don’t have the extra time needed to adjust to and create a routine for caring for a new pet.

If you’re buying a pet for a child, it’s an even worse idea. Your grandchild, niece, nephew, or other lovable little one may tell you that all they really want for Christmas is a new furry friend. But who’s actually going to be the one taking care of that furry friend? Chances are it probably won’t be the kid. The parents may not be as excited to have a new family member as their child is, and eventually they’ll get tired of caring for an animal they never wanted in the first place.

If that’s not enough incentive for you, here are a few more reasons why you should never give pets as gifts.

puppies being given as gifts

Pets should never be surprises

No matter what type of pet you’re planning to surprise someone with, it’s not a good idea. All pets, especially dogs, are a large time commitment, a long-term responsibility and it takes preparation to be ready for the new bundle of joy. In this case, a surprise is a bad idea.

Video: FailArmy Presents: Funny Pet Fails by The Pet Collective

If someone has mentioned the idea of getting a dog to you, they may not have completely thought it through. The idea of a pet may be enticing, but once they’ve actually given it some thought they may realize that a pet won’t fit in with their lifestyle.

Maybe they are ready for the commitment and the financial responsibility, but they definitely won’t be ready to bring the dog into their home just yet. If you surprise someone with a dog they won’t have the necessary supplies to care for the pet. Think of all the things that a dog will need right away:

• food and water bowls
  • a collar
  • a leash
  • dog food
  • a dog bed
  • training supplies

…and those are just the immediate needs. It’s safe to say that giving someone a dog as a surprise would certainly be a much bigger surprise than either of you bargained for.

Video: P!nk - Just Give Me A Reason ft. Nate Ruess

Winter is not the best time of year to adopt a dog

Reviews & Comments

Related posts